Name:
Location: Singapore

Monday, February 05, 2007

Respect is VERY important

I shall happily post a post on respect as, having experienced the senario where a leader isn't showing respect to their peers, I have to say that Respect is VERY IMPORTANT in life, especially to a Leader. Now, why did I highlight leaders? Well, Leaders are in a position of power, however, they're only as powerful as their followers. And how do they gain followers? by Showing respect and being responsible. Look at it this way,  We elect a leader, and we can choose whether we want to follow that leader, and a leader have to PROVE to us little ones if they're worth following, and they do that by being a good leader, by showing respect.

As I recall from my leadership camp, a leader is practically a slave to the general population. They call it servant leadership. A leader is suppose to do whatever it is in their power to ensure that the others are nice and happy, and that a leader has a long and lonely path.

Now, I got totally and utterly PEEVED during bowling training on Friday. For those who actually knows me, this is actually really weird. For one, I totally love bowling, a total and absolute bowling fanatic. For another, aside from my family, I doubt any of my friends have seen me mad before (hey, and I was really trying to contain my anger at that point..).

Apparently, The Excos have agreed that my Boyfriend and I have been getting a tad bit too close during training (A few hugs here and there to cheer each other up, we all have our bad days... even more so for us coz competition is near and we have high expectations for ourselves). So, Instead of being RESPONSIBLE, MATURE and RESPECTFUL, they totally disregarded our feelings and started to think about bringing up the matter to our CTs to handle. When, just nicely, our coach told them that it wasn;t needed that that he will tell us himself. Now, when I found out, I was a little peeved, after all, who likes to know that they're being talked about avidly behind their back? I asked a dear friend of mine who happens to be in the Exco, and he said that the only reason that they didn't inform us of our apparent misconduct was because they didn't know HOW to do so. and here I naively thought that being a leader is to step outta the comfort zone and to do what's right... how silly of me. I was upset, not because of the fact that hugs are seen as wrong (hey, my gal friend from bowling all but raped me last year) but that they didn't respect me as a person and as a team member and tell it to my face that it was wrong. Rather, they went behind my back, and tried to involve higher authorities when they were uncomfortable about the subject. Really, if they actually went to the teachers, I would have quit bowling. There's no point in me being in a CCA where I'm clearly looked down upon, unwanted, and disrespected.

As it is, I'm still seething about the way I was treated, especially when my personal message displayed my displeasure about respect being important, and my captain's message flashing back saying that if I wanted respect, I ought to earn it and that i wasn't the only one with a boyfriend. I can only assume that she never did attend the same type of leadership course as I did about servant leadership and how leaders ought to show respect before being given respect. Now, I suppose that there's not much I can do other than to bite my tongue till it bleeds, coz I doubt that there will be any other way in which I will really shut up about this. I'll rant more if and when I feel like it, but as if now, its way too late and there's school tomorrow. So, for today, the rant shall be over until such that my emotions gets riled up again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home